Stellarium - Photo-Realistic Sky Generator
Stellarium is a free software available for Windows, Linux/Unix and MacOSX, created by Fabien Chéreau. It renders 3D photo-realistic skies in real time. With stellarium, you
really see what you can see with your eyes, binoculars or a small telescope. I highly recommend this program for the beginner. Although this is not a complete astronomy
software package, it is a very easy to use tool to discover the night sky with.This program makes learning the stars and constellations a joy. Pull up your local sky tonight
and plan an observation session. Stellarium is small in size and simple to use.
- New! Over 120000 stars from the Hipparcos Catalogue with name and infos for the brightest ones.
- Planets in real time, with a powerfull zoom mode to see them like in a telescope.
- Drawing of the 88 constellations with their names.
- Drawing of more than 40 messiers objects (Orion, M31 etc..).
- Photorealistic Milky Way.
- Ground, fog, and landscape.
- Star twinkling.
- Grids in Equatorial and Azimuthal coordinates.
- Time control (real time and accelered time modes).
- Graphical menu for simple utilisation.
- Clikable stars, planets and nebulas with informations.
- Ecliptic and celestrial equator lines.
- Smooth real time navigation.
- Windowed and fullscreen modes.
- Windows 95/98/2000/NT/XP or Linux/Unix or MacOSX.
- A 3D Card with a support for OpenGL. At least a Voodoo3 or a TNT2 is recommended for very smooth animation.
- A dark room for realistic rendering : details like the Milky Way or star twinkling can't be seen in a bright room.
Stellarium web page